Monday, January 19, 2009

D.I.T.C./Joell Ortiz

I was finally able to check out the new D.I.T.C. album, The Movement the other day. If you are a fan, I highly recommend picking this one up. It's nice to hear some new stuff from these guys, and they're doing their part in reviving NY. While it most likely won't be a commercial success, true fans of hip hop that seek out talented MCs/producers instead of waiting for someone to spoon feed it to them will appreciate what they have done and are doing. The surprise gem on this one that I wanted to mention though is "Air Ya'll". Produced by Lord Finesse and featuring only the vocals of BK emcee and non DITC member Joell Ortiz, the track took me by surprise when I heard a second and then a third verse from Joell; each one of them packed with his addictive delivery and potent lyricism. It seems Ortiz is collecting quite a few valuable co-signs from hip hop legends. Hopefully, this gets anyone who hasn't been paying attention to wake up. If his solo efforts weren't enough, Joell recently came together with Crooked I, Joe Budden, and Royce da 5'9" to form the collective known as Slaughterhouse. Hopefully we'll get an album from them this year that'll scare all of these lazy rappers into stepping their game up or bowing out altogether. Of course, I'd be satisfied with a solo from Joell though. In the meantime, check out The Brick: Bodega Chronicles, realeased in 07 while everyone was waiting on the Aftermath release that never came to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment