Friday, December 10, 2010

"Get Used To Us" - Before I Listen

"I'll let my record talk for me like a Preem hook" - Royce Da 5'9"

I'm about to check out this DJ Premier album. I'm a little disappointed in the track list though. He can literally get anyone he wants, but NYGz are on there like 5 times. Plus, "Sing Like Bilal" with Joell Ortiz has already shown up enough on Joell's mixtapes this year, and should have been left off of this album. I guess it's a producer's album to promote his label. But, still.

Actually, with someone like Premier, I have absolutely ZERO interest in him breaking new talent. I really only want to hear established MCs that I respect over his beats. I mean, think about it. When you talk about your favorite MCs, if they haven't worked with Premier yet, you say how great it would be if they did. If they have worked with Premier that work is pretty much always hailed as their best. So, is it too much to ask that he do albums for my handpicked artists?

Anyway, I'm sure this album turned out great, but hopefully not too short of what it could be. I am looking forward to the Teflon/Styles P. match up, and Premier cutting up records on the hooks. But, in terms of Premier v. Pete Rock, this has to hold up to Soul Survivor!

In all likelihood I'll probably end up making the purchase to support. If Premier doesn't earn your money, who does? As long as he leaves off all his drops. Maybe I'm crazy, but he has some of the most annoying drops of any DJ, and they haven't changed in like 15 years.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment