Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Greatest Story Never Told

Saigon's song "Preacher" came up on my iPod shuffle just now. So, I figured I might as well talk about the album. Not a review. Just a quick thought.

I am a Saigon fan. But, I'm not that impressed with the long-awaited album. I'm not sure if it was the build up - The years of anticipation, of release dates that came and went, the Entourage appearances that would have served as a solid springboard to commercial success if Atlantic Records was at all competent - or that the album just isn't that good.

It may be a mixture of all of these things. When your album has been in the works and then completed for years w/out ever coming out, you better make damn well sure that if it ever does see a release date, that it is the best possible work you could have put out. I don't think this record fits that bill. The album doesn't sound like it has a definite direction, just a lot of different song concepts and sides to Saigon's persona all at once that round out to be a vague description of each at the end of the day.

I kept this in my iPod for now. But, I'm not sure I will ever get back to it with all of the new music coming out this year. The album just didn't grab and hold my interest like I thought it would, and I've moved right on. Don't get me wrong, there is some good material offered up from both Saigon and Just Blaze on The Greatest Story Never Told. But, it just doesn't hold up to the greatness anticipated by audiences since the project was announced. Perhaps a better way to deliver it would be to have completely shelved (or say that you shelved) the album w/ this title and released something entirely new and different to the fans...even if it wasn't.

What did you think of the album?? Agree/disagree? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment