Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Hip Hop Thought Of The Day



One of my favorite things to come from the internet as far as hip hop goes is collections of original samples being made available to regular hip hop heads like myself. I know that some producers hate this because they like to keep some of those records secret (after all they did the hard work of diggin' to find that perfect sound), but dammit I can't get enough.

From albums replacing each song on a specific album with their corresponding sampled record(s) to collections by crate diggers like DJ Neil Armstrong, DJ Muro, and Lord Finnesse, being able to hear these songs in their entirety (instead of just the obvious ones - everyone's heard "Footsteps in the Dark" or "Between the Sheets" by The Isley Brothers for example) really makes the fans appreciate the art of sampling by certain producers much much more. This does not come easy at all for hip hop producers, and I think these collections really make that much apparent. And listening to a track by say Ahmad Jamal or David Axelrod (or someone more obscure or just simply not thought of along with the hip hop genre) and coming across that one part of the record that was turned into a completely new record for an MC to rhyme to is simply amazing. It makes listening to hip hop generally more fun in my opinion. Additionally, these sample collections make me aware of some great music that I would have never heard before (accept in the samples).

For more on this topic, see earlier posts about 9th Wonder, DJ Premier, and others on here. And if you want some sample collections, let me know and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment