Friday, July 23, 2010

Some Classic Hip Hop Videos

Got a busy day today, but thought I'd just throw up a few classics before I head out. I've said this before, but I really love the Internet for allowing me to look up pretty much anything I want at any time.



"Bucktown" is probably one of Smif-N-Wessun's best known songs. They're a group I listened to a lot growing up. It's actually about time I pulled out Dah Shinin' again. Don't forget they're supposed to be coming out with an album soon that's entirely produced by Pete Rock. I don't think it has a release date yet, but I'm excited.




This one from Tribe was creative when it came out and it still is today. I remember seeing this for the first time, actually. And, my brother and I taped it and watched it again and again. No other double feature videos come to mind right now, and this is definitely the first I had seen. They even stop the track and do part of "Buggin' Out" acapella. Classic Hip Hop right here.




The real version of this video took a little while to find. I'm not really sure how it all works, but some videos on YouTube are posted by some site or something called Vevo. Anyway, they fucked up this video completely by taking out all of the captions that showed up for each scene. I'm not sure why they would do that. The point of the video and what makes it great is that The Roots are making fun of all the cliches in rap videos. The captions make that clear...and hilarious. But, without them, the video just doesn't make sense and it looks stupid. "What They Do" is one of my favorite Roots songs and also one of my favorite videos of all time.

"Lost generation, fast-paced nation, world population confront their frustration, the principles of true Hip Hop have been forsaken, it's all contractual and about money makin'"

No comments:

Post a Comment