Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Villa Manifesto Pre-Thoughts

I saw this was up on the Nets somewheres yesterday. Not sure how it's gonna turn out, but I'ma take a listen. I've never been a big fan of Slum Village, and I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of people are pretending to be these days because of Dilla (whom many only discovered after his death). The Jay Dee beats were wasted on weak MCs for the most part, I think. Once Elzhi came in, the group got a much needed lyrical boost, but lost Jay Dee as a member.

I thought the Villa Manifesto EP was pretty good, so I'm thinking that the full-length may turn out to have some dope material. But, I saw that Elzhi said the label took him off a lot of the tracks (including the joint with Little Brother - Really? Phonte and Elzhi together would be crazy!!), as he is now apparently out of the group. To me, he's the only reason to listen to a Slum Village album, and without him the group doesn't have much to offer. I'm much more excited about anything El does solo (or with other artists) than him being part of this group. I think they're kinda shooting themselves in the foot here. But, we'll see how the album comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment