Friday, October 2, 2009

"Every Saturday - 'Rap Attack' Mr. Magic, Marley Marl"




In terms of deaths, this has been a crazy year to say the least. While Biggie let his tape rock 'til his tape popped, no doubt most from my generation know DJ Mr. Magic from the "Juicy" reference alone (and maybe from Nas' mention on "Halftime"). Myself included for the most part, actually. Me being a very young hip hop head in the 80's and early 90's and not living in NYC, I wasn't given the opportunity to know his contributions first-hand. I obviously heard this line over and over though, and only later learned of the connection between Mr. Magic and Marley Marl and the Juice Crew through hip hop books and documentaries mostly. I think if I looked through some shoeboxes of tapes (which I may end up doing later today) I may find some compilation that he put together in the mid-90's. We'll see.

Sadly though, hip hop has been struck with another blow, very soon after the news of DJ Grandmaster Roc Raida's death, as DJ Magic Mike (John Rivas) has died from a heart attack, apparently this morning. Check out the link below for more specific info and some words from DJ Premier.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.9905#

No comments:

Post a Comment