Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Plea To All MCs Releasing An Album In The Future

This problem first become noticeable to me in the late 90's with releases from Big Pun and Puff Daddy. I couldn't understand it then, and I still don't today. I let it go, but it appears to be happening more and more recently and I've had enough. Let me give a few examples of recent offending songs just off the top of my head:

Royce Da 5'9" Feat. Phonte - "Something 2 Ride 2"
Saigon Feat. Grand Puba - "Who Can Get Busy"
Slaughterhouse Feat. Pharoahe Monch - "Salute"
KRS-One & Buckshot Feat. Pharoahe Monch - "One Shot"
Krs-One & Buckshot Feat. Talib Kweli - "Oh Really"

Now, what is it that all of these songs have in common? Anyone? Give up?

They are all "featuring" some of hip hop's best MCs, yet each one of them stop short of having an actual verse delivered by the guest. What the fuck is going on?!?!?! Why have these artists on an album in the first place if it's just to record a hook? Do these names read like a list of background singers to you? Me either. Me either. And, I'm tired of getting excited about a new track just to be disappointed when the end comes without a verse from someone of, say Pharoahe fucking Monch's caliber. I thought one was bad. But, two features like this from him with no verse in a year's time. Are you fucking kidding me?! There's no reason for this. It makes me want to return the CD on principal alone. It's fucking false advertising is what it is. We the fans have been cheated.

So, to all MCs that I have respect for that are planning on releasing an album in the near future - please, please, please - respect your fans, and respect the artists that you work with for your album - ask them to bless you with a verse. This isn't Nate Dogg you asked to record with you afterall. It's Grand Puba. Act like you fucking know.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment