Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jay-Z - Feelin' It

Here is the video for "Feelin' It" off of Jay-Z's debut album, Reasonable Doubt - probably my favorite hip hop album of all time. Also, this is arguably Ski Beatz best producing effort, and he's got a lot of great tracks under his belt.

I actually don't think I've ever seen this video before today. The reason I'm posting it is not just because it's a great song. The video has a story to it, where Jay is some kind of kingpin coming to the island to straighten out someone who doesn't wanna pay up. Kind of a pre-'Streets Is Watching' video.

I was annoyed at first that the lyrics were cleaned up, but then I remembered how in the early to mid-90's, MCs would have some creative ways of taking the curse words out of their lyrics - Dre and Snoop's early songs are another good example. So, I kept watching, and I liked how he flipped his lyrics to remove the curses. It was sort of a new version of the song. But, then here comes the third verse. One of my favorite Jay-Z verses...only it isn't. Almost the entire verse is different. And, it's brand new to me! If you haven't seen this before, or even if you have, I suggest you check it out. Maybe the last time you saw it was before you listened to the song a hundred times and you didn't notice the changes then. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment