Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Jay-Z's Decoded



This Jay-Z book, which is kind of a memoir/biography was finished a couple of years ago. When I first heard it described as Jay-Z breaking down some of his best verses, it sounded a little pretentious to me (though I was still interested). But, having the book be a mix of his own thoughts along with interiews from family and friends, and him breaking down his creative process...well, yeah it still sounds pretentious. But, I can't think of another MC that could pull it off.

I am interested to read this book. But, at the same time the content is already there for everyone to hear in the songs. Jay put his thoughts, experiences, etc. into this art form, and now taking it out and just explaining it all over again long-hand style in book form seems like it may cheapen the art a little. I guess I'll just have to wait for the release date in November to find out.

For the full article, go to Rolling Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment